Monday, May 9, 2011

Almost Summertime! An update.

OK, so I know it's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm going to try to get better. Now that all 3 of our 99 lists are posted, I realize that I knocked out a whole mess of stuff at the beginning, then tapered off. I'm lame. I know. Now, I'm back with a vengeance. Here are a few updates on what's going on in my head.

First things first: I'm going to tackle the 5K goal on my 99 list.
One of the lovely ladies in my Meetup group is doing the Couch 2 5k program and I'm going to start it as well. I am finding the motivation to do it. I hope it's going to go well, as it looks like a pretty easy plan. Any runners out there, please feel free to give me some tips!

Second thing, I've got some travel plans in the works. Starting Memorial Day.
I can't even BEGIN to describe how happy I am to be going to Greenville for Mem Day. I'm esctatic. I'm thrilled. I'm positively through the roof! I haven't seen my Gvegas loves since New Years Eve and that's a long time to go without seeing your favorite people. I'm super excited to see Sasha and Scott. I thank my lucky stars that they both haven't become too cool for me. I miss the silly, yet somewhat serious comraderie I have with them. I'm super excited go to the Pub. The Pub is like the Greenville version of Big John's. A bit of a shithole, but otherwise, amazing. I've never had a bad time at BJ's, nor have I at the Pub. It pretty much encompasses everything that I love about summertime. Grills, Beer buckets, Cornhole, friends, sun. What more can you ask for? I miss SC so much sometimes; this is a nice way to get a little dose of the South. I'm hoping even some of the teachers will venture out to the Pub. I'd love to see them all. I miss them more than I ever thought I would!!  

Third thing, Charleston.
I love Charleston. I miss Charleston. When I die, cremate me, get drunk at Big John's and sprinkle my ashes in Alhambra Hall. That's where I want to live out my eternity. Until then, I'm going to take a little mini- (read: working) vacay back home. My plan is to take off about a week or 2 in the summer (probably around July 4th) and go down to Charleston. Take my laptop and do my work on the beach. I fully believe that I can be just as/if not more productive on the Carolina coast :)

Last week, I found out that my oldest and best friends has set her wedding date. I'm so excited. I can't wait. Meagan will be the first one in my immediate group of friends to be married. And her fiance is awesome. I love him. I love her. I love them together. They're both such amazing people, I can't wait for them to be married. This will be the best wedding of 2012. I have no doubts about that.

Everytime I go home, I realize how much I miss being close to my Charleston friends. I also realize that after I have a catch up phone call with them. Especially with Kristin. I love Kristin. There's a special place in my heart for Kristin. She's so laid back, everything just rolls off her shoulders. I love her perspective on things. She is probably the most positive person I know. I spent almost 4 hours on the phone with her, talking about everything under the sun. Her life, my life. Her relationships, my (lack of) relationships, getting her opinion on people. I love it. I love the feeling when you finally get to talk to someone you haven't talked to in awhile. That's the feeling I get when I talk to Meagan and Kristin. I need to catch up with Dana too, but I know she's not a phone person. Being so far away from everyone, you feel like you lose connections with everyone. I'm so glad that through high school, college, and post college, I still haven't lost connections with old friends.


Fourth thing: Boston.
I really need to take a trip up to Beantown. I need to go visit Jill. And I haven't been in a hot minute. I've never been out in downtown Boston either. That definitely needs to happen. I love Jill too. She's another of my favorite people. I believe that Jill will be the next married. Either her or Dana. It's a close tie. We had a talk about Maids of Honor a couple of weeks ago that triggered my curiosity about MsOH. How do you pick a maid of honor? Do you pick your best friend? Your sister? Someone whom is close to both people being wed? I don't know. She and I have a unique situation in that she and I are close. Her boyfriend and I are not. In truth, I can't say that we actually like each other. We've had our share of disagreements in our short past, and we all know that I hold grudges like they're somehow going to disappear into thin air. Not right, but still, that's me. If I were to get married, I have so many women that are important in my life, I can't imagine making such a difficult decision. How do people do it?


Fifth thing: My new (not so new anymore) job
I love my company. I love the flexibility of the corporate world. I love my boss & the fact that he's the most low maintenance person I've ever worked for. EVER. However, I do miss my lovey, huggy, chatty, funny 8 and 9 year olds. But I do NOT miss the administrative bullsh*t. I do not miss lesson plans that don't meet ridiculous criteria that in no way influence the way you teach (activating strategies, anyone?). I do not miss IEP meetings and A-Team meetings that ultimately do nothing to assist the child about which you are meeting. Changing careers is so bittersweet sometimes!

Last thing: Boys.
I love boys. Boys are fabulous. Boys who text are even more so.

Ok, this one was kind of random and kind of lengthy. I'm going to make more of an effort to do this more often. Let's see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment