Thursday, May 26, 2011

Memorial Day... What's the point?

So I was listening to my favorite radio station this morning. I listen to it live on my computer at work. To anyone who needs a new radio station, I highly recommend it. It's entertaining, it's informative, it's slightly silly, but in a good way. It's www.hot995.com If you have any time, listen to the Kane Show. You'll love it.

Anyway, I was listening to the Kane Show this morning and they were talking about how 80% of people born in the US don't know why we celebrate Memorial Day. To this I ask, is there anyone who knows (without googling/binging/wikipedia-ing it) why we celebrate Memorial Day? Please tell me I'm not the only one. They were also talking about how they asked people born in the US simple US facts (who's the VP, when is Independence Day, etc.) and they couldn't answer them. This makes me think of the show, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" and "Repo Games". Shows like this make me laugh because these shows are there solely to give you money. They're usually simple questions too! How can you miss those? I'm appalled at anyone who doesn't know the VP of the US. Now if you were asked to name the last 3 VPs, I'd understand. It's hard to narrow down which 3 were the most recent. But not knowing the current VP?? I'm floored.

On another, completely unrelated note, I think I'm finally over my "I Hate Boys" phase. I was talking to my friend, Jill, who always seems to put things into perspective, as she remembers my "IHB" phase VERY vividly. I was talking to her about how when you find a guy you could be mildly interested in (heaven forbid you actually like the guy), you find your girl friends who know that guy and pick their brain. Jill told me I was crazy. In fact, she told me that no normal girls do that. Let's completely bypass Jill calling me crazy and focus on the issue at hand. Help me out, girls. I need someone to settle the score. Do other women do this or is this just my friends? I can list off at least 5-7 girls I know that have done this. I can list at least 5 girls that have called me for information on one of my guy friends. Is this my circle of friends? Is this a Southern thing? Is this a Charleston thing? What is it? I need some insight.

Another unrelated note: I'm South Carolina bound in 26 hours. Get excited. I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment